St Paul’s Playhouse Church of England Building1883
First there was Philip’s Church, which was built at Millchester in 1873. Then, with the shift of population to Charters Towers, St Paul’s was erected on this dominating perch in Upper Mosman Street in 1875. W.G. Smith designed this 400 seat church replacement along with the Rectory that still stands beside it. It was opened by the Bishop of North Queensland on 30 December 1883 24. Other Churches of England were opened as the goldfield population increased and urbanised to include St George’s Church in Queenton, St Aidan’s in Mosman Park in 1898 and All Saints in Richmond Hill.25 In 1965 the Church of England - now the Anglican Church –moved to new premises in Gill Street thus making St Paul’s surplus to requirements. With the demise of the town’s only theatre in 1969, the Towers Players acquired St Paul’s for their theatrical productions.